Early successional restoration and management practices in priority areas as defined in Kentucky’s Wildlife Action Plan
Project #: 1782 – Updated: January 17, 2011
This project has initiated self-sufficient Habitat Management Teams that focus on early successional restoration and management practices in priority conservation areas as defined in Kentucky’s Wildlife Action Plan.view full description
Location (by county):
["", "Calloway County (KY), ", "Livingston County (KY), ", "Massac County (IL), ", "Hardin County (IL), ", " (show more)", "Crittenden County (KY), ", "McCracken County (KY), ", "Marshall County (KY), ", "Pope County (IL), ", "Graves County (KY), ", "Lyon County (KY)", " (show less)"]
Lower Cumberland, Lower Ohio-Bay, Lower Tennessee, Lower Ohio, Kentucky Lake, Bayou De Chien-Mayfield
KY District 01, IL District 15
Bird Conservation Regions:
Central Hardwoods, Southeastern Coastal Plain
Midwest Region, Southeast Region
|Site Name||Publicly Accessible|
|Livingston County Focus Area||No|
|4 County Work Area||No|
Full Project Description
This project has initiated self-sufficient Habitat Management Teams that focus on early successional restoration and management practices in priority conservation areas as defined in Kentucky’s Wildlife Action Plan.
Project Assistance & Partnership Opportunities
3/4 Ton 4 wd truck 7 or 8 foot Mower
Goals and Targets
- Public Benefit
- Conservation Mission
- Continue to do management work at a reasonable cost on primarily private lands, related to early natural succession habitat management and restoration.
Habitat team continues to complete management activities (prescribed burning, native grass and forb establishment, strip discing, invasive species control, edge-feathering and ephemeral pools).
Consistent with plans:
- Habitat Conservation Plan
- Species Recovery Plan
- Nature Conservancy Ecoregional Plan
- Conservation Plan
- State Wildlife Action Plan
- Shrublands and Grasslands
- Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus
- Dickcissel Spiza americana
- Grasshopper Sparrow Ammodramus savannarum
- Henslow's Sparrow Ammodramus henslowii
- Barking Treefrog Hyla gratiosa
- Northern Crawfish Frog Rana areolata circulosa
- Southern Leopard Frog Rana sphenocephala
- Coal Skink Eumeces anthracinus
- Southeastern Five-lined Skink Eumeces inexpectatus
- Eastern Slender Glass Lizard Ophisaurus attenuatus longicaudus
Is the success of this project's actions being monitored? Yes
Please describe your monitoring activity.
Point counts of breeding birds in Livingston County Focus Area. Monitoring is being corrdinated by Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. Ephemeral pool reptile and amphibian monitoring will also be done.
What lessons have been learned and/or what suggestions do you have for similar activities?
Good partnerships and cooperative activities are necessary in making project a success. Landowners seem to appreciate the habitat work that is being completed on their property.
What additional information would you like to share?
More management oriented activities like this needed to assist and complete work for private landowners and provide needed managment activities as defined in State Wildlife Action Plans.